The Toolbox App is unable to update tools installed in directories that the current user lacks write permissions for. In such cases, an "Update" button becomes inactive.
There are two ways to resolve this issue and restore the ability to update the tool.
Reinstall the tool
The recommended method is to reinstall the tool using the Toolbox App.
- Open "Other versions" list from the tool actions.
- Install your preferred version of the tool.
- Check that the new version works well for you.
- Uninstall the old tool via the Toolbox App or through the OS.
Make the directory writable
Another solution is to make the installation path writable for the current user. Use it only if you understand the potential security risks of loosening directory permissions.
- Open the tool directory specified in the tool settings, e.g. C:\Program Files\JetBrains\GoLand 2023.1.3
- Navigate to the parent directory (e.g. C:\Program Files\JetBrains) and modify its permissions so that the current user has write access.
Open the Toolbox App, click on the locknut in the top right corner and check for updates. (Ctrl+R / ⌘+R)
- The “Update” button should now become active.